The objective of this report is to analyze workplace issues and problems that may affect negatively to workplace culture. In this regard it is required that individuals have appropriate interpersonal skills so that workplace issues can be resolved.
- Determine workplace issues/problems and how interpersonal skills can be used to resolve them.
A Written Description of Workplace Issues With 7 Interpersonal Skills To Be Used With Examples
The workplace issue selected over here is interpersonal conflict that often exists between 2 or more individuals or a group of people who reveal their sense of frustration. It together depicts their interference in the efforts put by others to attain an undertaken goal. This in turn creates a lot of discrepancies at work by together creating difficulty for others. Interpersonal conflicts at workplace are evident to lead into severe conflicts by completely destroying the relationship with peers and superiors. It is thereby important to be controlled in a strategic manner (Doyle, 2018).
For the same, it is firstly important to undertake a procedural approach by the concerted bodies putting efforts to resolve the disputed state at work. This necessitates to primarily understand the type of conflict taking place by together identifying some common indications of interpersonal disputes to detect the exact one. Generally, there exists 4 different types of interactive arguments namely pseudoconflicts or real, policy disputes, value and ego conflicts. It is hereby important for the concerned personnel to resolve it in the most efficient way and with the use of some below defined measures or interpersonal skills:
1) Verbal: This plays a crucial role in resolving any conflicted situation at work where the person who is intending to do so is required to begin with effective speech patterns with a soft and polite start up to begin the conversation (Lin and et.al., 2016). Also, it necessitates to avoid speaking in louder tone or voice to start with something positive to express appreciation and concentrate on 1 problem at a time.
2) Non- verbal: This is yet another effective measure to strategically resolve interpersonal conflicts at work which includes the use of various body languages such as eye contact, a calm voice tone, supportive touch, concerned facial expression, posture and gestures, etc.
3) Listening skills: Herein, an active approach of listening can together lead to effectively resolve an interpersonal conflict at work. For this, it is important to show a willing approach in paying attention to the concerns in order to alleviate the state of dispute (Leon-Perez and et. Al., 2015). This together requires to make an eye contact and asking sensible questions, if required. Also, rephrasing the key points is essential to demonstrate understanding.
4) Negotiations: dealing with/ compromise: It is apparent to bring a better outcome with no assurance of winning the condition and instead creates a win or lose situation. Although, on choosing this particular approach, the parties involved in a disputed situation are required to come to a favorable agreement that becomes a solution for both. This often demands to give up something in order to compromise and settle the conflicted state. It consists of a significant drawback which depicts less or no commitment towards he desired outcomes at the end.
5) Problem solving: This is basically to deal with the person in the most desired way that is often proven to create a win- win situation as the best result (Martinez-Corts and et.al., 2015). It will check all likely solutions to resolve a conflicted situation at work by together showcasing the need of collaboration among the parties involved in it. This also demands the parties to contribute their along with some efforts to reach to an agreeable decision.
6) Decision making: It is basically to choose from the best alternatives to resolve the conflict. For this, one must be able to focus on the present by avoiding to bring onto any past grudges or disputes. Also, a willing approach to forgive others should be there with an impeccable ability of using humor to effectively resolve the conflicted state of affairs.
7) Assertiveness: This defines the most effective skills of leadership to resolve the state of conflicts at the workplace in the most encouraging manner. It necessities the parties to communicate openly about their grudges as well as feelings and wishes that may be distinct from each other (Thibaut, 2017). Although, they are required to do so, without crossing the social boundaries between them and expressively share their views and opinions with an honest outlook towards resolving the dispute.
You may also like the below sample:-